Youth-WAVE Event Team / Summer Internships
WAVE Educational Fund is a grassroots, statewide, non-profit organization dedicated to preventing gun violence by strengthening our state’s gun laws.
We are hiring 2-4 high school or college summer interns passionate about preventing gun violence.
We need your help to reach out to other youth who are concerned about gun violence and people who will be eligible to vote in November 2018. As part of the Milwaukee summer Event Team, you will assist with voter registration and get-out-the-vote activities, lead weekly events to raise public awareness about gun violence prevention, and coordinate a larger community event for the end of the summer.
- Develop an understanding of Wisconsin’s gun laws and the ways in which stronger gun laws can save lives.
- Talk with young people across Greater Milwaukee about the importance of voting. Help eligible new voters get registered using a voter registration app on a smart phone or tablet. (Note: WAVE does not support any specific candidates or political parties.) These conversations will happen at block parties, festivals, concerts, or other community events.
- Raise awareness among young people and their families about gun violence prevention and ways they can get involved to demand stronger gun laws. Each week the Event Team will plan and lead local actions like rallies, protests, sit-ins, etc. that provide opportunities for teens to take action and capture the attention of the public and followers on social media.
- Plan and coordinate a larger community event for the end of summer. This newsworthy event will focus on the impact of gun violence on kids and communities. The Event Team will help with all aspects of designing and planning the event.
- As part of this job, you will transport, set up, and break down event equipment (tables, tents, banners, etc.).
- Event Team members should have an enthusiasm and optimism about preventing gun violence and a strong desire to share those feelings with others, whether in a personal conversation, on social media, or as part of an action or event.
- Event Team members must be positive, energetic, reliable, responsible, mature, and capable of engaging and interacting with a diverse population. The ability to speak Spanish or Hmong is a plus, but not required.
- With either your own transportation (valid driver’s license and auto insurance required) or public transportation, you must be able to travel around Greater Milwaukee to attend actions and events, including on some nights or weekends. Most actions and events will take place outdoors.
- All Event Team members must be able to capture photos from actions and events to share on social media.
- You must be able to regularly stand and walk for significant amounts of time and lift objects of less than 35 lbs.
- Experience with sales, customer service, or political organizing is preferred.
- This is a paid internship that will require from 10 hours per week up to 15 hours per week for 10 weeks (beginning in mid-June). Working hours will likely vary from week to week and will include some nights and weekends.
- You will be paid an $800 stipend for the summer. You will receive one payment of $250 after completing three weeks and a payment of $550 after completing ten weeks.
- WAVE Ed Fund can also assist interns in seeking school credit for their summer internship.
Please send your resume and a cover letter to Kristina Paris at firstname.lastname@example.org