WAVE EDUCATIONAL FUND, INC.
Youth Engagement Summer Assistant
Temporary, Part time
(Internship credit is possible; see compensation section for more details)
WAVE Educational Fund is a statewide, grassroots organization dedicated to preventing gun violence, injuries and deaths through education and advocacy. WAVE’s equity commitment is to cultivate a more equitable violence-free society where we all feel a sense of security, belonging, value, and pride.
Are you passionate about youth? Do you believe that young people are the leaders that this world needs? Have you been looking for a way to be more involved with the next generation? The Youth Engagement Summer Assistant position would be a wonderful opportunity for you! The primary purpose of this temporary, part-time role is to assist with the 2022 summer internship. This is an 11-week position from May 23rd, 2022 to August 10th, 2022. 160 total hours are required. This position is eligible for a $2,500 stipend.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties, as well as others that may be assigned, will be performed individually or in coordination with other staff members.
- Assist with planning the annual summer internship, with a focus on awareness-building activities and equitable solutions to gun violence.
- Assist with developing a longstanding and sustainable youth component to our programs, which will raise up young voices in Wisconsin’s current gun violence prevention efforts and ensure that the next generation will be prepared to continue the movement in our state.
- Perform data entry including, but not limited to, tracking intern hours, managing the completion of internship activities, and ensuring each intern completes each required item.
- May be asked to facilitate internship trainings or activities.
- Help plan and participate in community awareness-building and fundraising events.
- Assist with civic engagement activities, such as voter registration and get-out-the-vote.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficiency in using Zoom
- Familiarity with Google Docs
- Commitment to, and passion for, gun violence prevention, equity, safety, and justice
- At least 18 years of age
- Read, sign, and adhere to WAVE’s Youth Protection Policy and pass a criminal background screening
- Read, sign, and adhere to WAVE’s COVID-19 Employee Policy (including vaccination requirement)
- *Capable of providing own transportation (valid driver’s license and auto-insurance required), self-arranged transportation, or public transportation, and must be able to travel around the state to attend actions and events that occur days, nights, or weekends
- *Have a remote workspace
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or GED required
- Experience in the fields of youth development, communications, or community organizing preferred
COMPENSATION AND COLLEGE CREDIT OPPORTUNITY
- This position is eligible to receive $2,500 after the completion of 160 hours.
- This role can also be adapted to fulfill college internship credit requirements.
- *Due to COVID-19, our work is currently being conducted virtually (i.e., remotely), but we will resume in-person activities when it is safe to do so.
We will accept applications until the job is filled. Please send your resume and a cover letter to Deja Garner at dg@WaveEdFund.org. Alternatively, you can answer the questions on this survey: https://forms.gle/EsgyxBbg355kfTWF8.
WAVE Educational Fund celebrates diversity. We welcome, and are committed to creating, an inclusive environment. That means we respect and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, and life experiences of all applicants and employees. You’re valued here.