A Virtual Youth Summer Internship with WAVE
June 13th, 2022 – August 8th, 2022
WAVE (Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort) Educational Fund is a grassroots, statewide, non-profit organization dedicated to preventing gun violence.
If you are passionate about preventing gun violence and fall between the ages of 14-and 21, we encourage you to apply for WAVE’s 2022 virtual summer internship.
WAVE’s virtual summer internship will help you reach your full potential as leaders by providing you with the opportunity to create public awareness events, increase advocacy and lobbying skills, develop peacebuilding skills, learn about non-profit leadership, build community-based collaborations, and direct peer-to-peer gun violence prevention trainings. Additionally, this program provides the space to build long-lasting relationships with other young people.
2022 summer intern duties will include:
- Build expertise on community-based solutions to gun violence
- Develop an understanding of Wisconsin’s gun laws and the ways in which stronger gun laws can save lives
- Complete weekly trainings and skill-building activities through an online platform
- Learn and teach strategies that help mobilize people to take action to prevent gun violence
- Expand knowledge of peacebuilding and conflict resolution techniques
- Working with other interns to plan and execute a large-scale public awareness event or virtual campaign
- Help increase awareness among youth and their families about the impact and nature of gun violence, as well as the importance of community and political engagement
- Create and update a social media presence related to your gun violence prevention activities
- Work a minimum of 50 hours, between 6/13/22 and 8/8/22, to successfully complete the internship
- Qualified interns must be positive, energetic, reliable, responsible, mature, and willing to engage and interact with diverse populations
- Experience with social media platforms, Google and Microsoft programs, especially MS Excel, is strongly desired
- Should be comfortable navigating online software either on a tablet or on a computer
- Experience with social justice, customer service, or political organizing is preferred
Must read, sign, and adhere to WAVE’s Youth Protection Policy.
*Must be capable of providing own transportation (valid driver’s license and auto insurance required), self-arranged transportation, or public transportation, and must be able to travel around the Greater Milwaukee area to attend actions and events that occur days, nights, or weekends
*Must follow WAVE’s COVID-19 Policy, which will meet or exceed guidelines offered by the Wisconsin Department of Health
**You will need access to either a laptop or desktop with an internet connection to successfully complete this leadership program. There also may be days when you will need to have access to a phone to dial in for a discussion or meeting.
- This is a paid internship and will require an average of 6.5 hours per week.
- Upon successful completion of the internship, a stipend will be awarded
- WAVE Ed Fund can also assist interns in providing school/service credit for this internship
*Due to COVID-19, these requirements may not apply. It is possible that all of our activities, throughout the duration of your internship, will be conducted virtually. If we are able to conduct in-person activities, your personal safety, and the safety of our community members, will be the top priority.
**If you do not have unlimited access to either a laptop, tablet, or desktop computer, please include that in the body of your email when applying.
Please complete the application here: https://forms.gle/uf1YLXBiFtqacuT59
WAVE is proud to celebrate diversity, and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. If there is a part of the job description that would lead you to require accommodations, please let us know.