Basic Text Column
We use this for most body copy on pages to control the text width for readability and to maintain a consistent look and feel across the site. You can see it in action as the intro text on most pages. It is made up of 3 columns with an empty column on each side of the main text area that stacks on mobile. The main text area is restricted to 780 px which provides comfortable reading length with the site’s standard font size.
In this article, we are sharing statistics regarding suicides involving guns, but it is always important to remember that these statistics represent real human beings who deserved to live. We take action to honor them and prevent potential suicides in the future.
In the United States
- Ninety percent of suicide attempts using a gun are fatal, making the use of a gun a uniquely lethal method.
- Every day, 65 Americans die by suicide using a gun (CDC)
- In 2019, more than half (51%) of all suicide deaths in Wisconsin involved guns (CDC)
- Over 70% of gun deaths in Wisconsin are due to suicide (CDC)
- The suicide rate in Wisconsin was higher than the national average in 2017 (15.45 people vs 14 people per 100,000 people) (AFSP)
- 848 people in Wisconsin died by suicide in 2019 (AFSP)
- Teen suicide in Wisconsin nearly doubled between 2007 and 2019 (CDC)
- In 2014, 133 Wisconsin veterans died by suicide, including 86 by firearm suicide. The suicide rate among veterans in Wisconsin is over twice the rate among the general population.
- In 2014, there were 742 firearm injury-related emergency department visits in Wisconsin.
- Gun deaths devastate families in both urban and rural areas, the state’s rural areas experience disproportionate rates of gun suicide.
Because suicidal acts are often impulsive and fleeting, preventing access to guns is crucial. Learn more about extreme risk protection orders, a policy that effectively reduces gun violence in places where it is implemented. Safe storage is another important policy for those who do have guns in their homes.
If you or a loved one need help, there are so many resources available. You are not alone, and the world needs you.
- Suicide and Crisis Lifeline – United States: call or text 988
- County Crisis Lines – Wisconsin Counties: https://www.preventsuicidewi.org/county-crisis-lines
- Other State and National Resources: https://www.preventsuicidewi.org/resources