Youth Gun Violence Prevention Internship with WAVE
June 17, 2019 – August 8, 2019
WAVE (Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort) Educational Fund is a grassroots, statewide, non-profit organization dedicated to preventing gun violence.
If you are a talented high school- or college-aged person, passionate about preventing gun violence, we encourage you to apply for the 2019 WAVE summer internship.
The 2019 WAVE summer internship will help you reach your full potential as leaders by providing you with the opportunity to create weekly public awareness events, increase advocacy and lobbying skills, learn about non-profit leadership, build community based collaborations, and direct peer-to-peer gun violence prevention advocacy trainings.
2019 Summer Intern Duties will include:
● Develop an understanding of Wisconsin’s gun laws and the ways in which stronger gun
laws save lives
● Participate in and complete trainings and skill-building activities
● Help increase awareness among youth and their families about the impact and nature of
gun violence, as well as the importance of community and political engagement
● Create and update a social media presence related to your gun violence prevention
● Learn and teach strategies that help mobilize people to take action to prevent gun
● Engage in public awareness and advocacy actions at public events such as block
parties, festivals, community fairs, youth programming, farmer’s markets, and other
public or invited gatherings
● Provide a youth-led gun violence prevention advocacy training to young people in
Milwaukee, Appleton, and Madison.
● Work a minimum of 72 hours, between 6/17/19 and 8/8/19, to successfully complete the
● Qualified interns will have enthusiasm and optimism about preventing gun violence and a strong desire to share those feelings with others, whether in personal conversations, on social media, or as part of actions or events
● Qualified interns must be positive, energetic, reliable, responsible, mature, and willing to engage and interact with diverse populations
● With either the intern’s own transportation (valid driver’s license and auto insurance required), self-arranged transportation, or public transportation, the intern must be able to travel around the Greater Milwaukee area to attend actions and events that occur days, nights, or weekends. Most actions occur outdoors in the summer
● Qualified interns should be able to capture photos during actions and events to share on social media